Tuesday, January 13, 2009

i hopped into a collectivo (shared van) with the locals and found my way to a few nice swimming caves this afternoon. actually a lot of what i did was float. the water must be chock full of minerals or something, since i could just lie there on the surface without moving. heres a picture of one of them (i took pictures but am too lazy to upload):

http://picasaweb.google.com/el.sangre/PVLtour4ValladolidCenotesYAONuevoEnCancN#5157016346339261058

unlike this picture, there were no people for a good portion of my swim.

tomorrow i am determined to see chichen itza no matter what the weather is like.

other random observations:

so far 3 meals and no ill effects. hooray.

im burning through mucho dinero at an alarming rate. mexico is not cheap. most of asia is probably a third of the price. belize (my next destination) will be worse.

my spanish is improving. but i am still an idiota.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey those swim caves are pretty cool. That's the freakiest stalagmites I've seen (from the photos).

Unknown said...

Damn, I meant stalactites. And I was trying to be careful to get it right.

Anonymous said...

i think those aren't stalactites, but tree roots

steyock said...

yes, they are tree roots. the other cave was stalactite laden and batty, but not this one.