Friday, May 06, 2005

what the hell do i do now?

i broke my ankle. my leg from knee to toes is encased in a shoddy vietnamese cast and according to my "doctor", it will need to remain on my leg for a month. i hope it heals correctly given the shoddy medical care in these parts. it took me two more days to find some tiny and uncomfortable crutches, but now i can finally get around.

i spent yesterday sitting on the porch of my beach bungalow staring at the sea and mulling over my options.

1. go home - this would be the obvious choice, but is complicated by the fact that i have no home. and do i resume my trip at some point?
2. go to bangalore and work from my company's office there for a month or so, and resume my trip afterwards. i'd need to see if my company would be willing to let me do this.
3. go back to saigon and enlist my vietnamese girlfriend, Hong, to assist in my convalescence (i haven't told this story yet).
4. go to cu chi (home of the infamous vc tunnels) and stay with the kind elderly woman who has declared herself my "vc guerilla mother" (i haven't told this story yet).
5. continue on my trip, maybe staying put in a few comfortable places for a while.

3 & 4 are probably bad ideas.

i need to look into what my travel insurance policy pays for...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that stinks.

Maybe you could fly to a local country with decent medical care (I think you mentioned someplace where you got shots) and stay someplace somewhat nicer for the month it takes to heal.

It would cost you more, but it wouldn't kill your trip and then you could hope that your leg wouldn't turn out all crooked at the end. If your ankle ends up tilted at a 45 degree angle, I think I would hemorrhage trying to not make fun of you for the rest of our lives. If you are truly a good person, you'd think of others and get yourself fixed up in a way that wouldn't be too amusing for your friends to ignore.


pickering

Anonymous said...

for purely selfish reasons, i think you should come home, but you'll probably tough it out... we miss you and hope your leg doesn't have to get amputated. take care! much love, ck

Anonymous said...

how did you break your ankle? Do you think that it will heal properly given what you've got now? I would be worried about dragging around on a semi-healed foot for a year in Asia.

Hope you are doing all right.

wendy

Anonymous said...

So, back to my New Zealand suggestion. Does it seem like a better idea now? At least they speak the same language. If Malaysia seems like a good idea, I know people there who could help.

Take care and feel better,
Jen Carroll

Anonymous said...

Yes, please come back and fix this stupid amendment activation/start of contract bug that we found last week.

Anonymous said...

Bangalore beckons, my friend.

You can hack and you might even find a real girl friend who will help you with your ankle. The Mallya hospital in Bangalore is quite good. Bangalore has metrosexuals who wear their hair long. And they will think you are Jon Bon Jovi's brother. If you stay away from the Starbuck's clones and the 5 star hotels, you might even find life cheap enough for your liking.

Anil

Anonymous said...

Dude. That's awesome. I think you should go and marry that woman who lives down in the tunnels and then contract some sort of nasty venereal disease. Then she could be your "vc guerilla mother" and your "vd gorilla wife".

good luck and break a leg!

Jason

Anonymous said...

You can hire some "nurses" to take care of you for a month, I'm pretty sure it's way cheaper than flying anywhere else. Although you are risking one of your legs, but you still have the other leg and finding the best deal is your top priority, right?

Anonymous said...

Oh Pepe Lucho, what have you done?

I told you your Alameda female karate classes weren't going work against those Thai stick fighters. Software, not the pride-fighting championships, is how you'll earn your keep.

In any event, Bangalore sounds like a good time. You'll get to see how the whole outsourcing deal works from the inside.

Good luck and stay safe man.

-Dennis

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!!
Goto India and visit Kerala.
Its famous for its Ayurvedic
Treatment and Ayurvedic Oil Massages.

http://www.kerala-tourism.net/kerala-ayurveda.html

http://www.oilbath.com/ayurveda.html
http://www.kerelam.com/ayurveda.html

Once rejuvenated you can continue with your journey :-)

Good luck!!